Friday, August 17, 2007

We don't execute people for that

Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia isn’t known for mincing words on the Senate floor. Still, even by his standards, his recent comments about a crime in the news were especially impassioned.
He repeatedly called the alleged crime “barbaric” and even volunteered to attend the execution of the accused.

Someone should let Robert Bird know that we do not execute people for dog fighting. all though I agree that some of the hottest places in hell are making room for mister Vick and his friends right now
."I am confident that the hottest places in hell are reserved for sick and brutal people who hold God’s creatures in such brutal and cruel contempt."


Update: It took me a while to find the actual speech given on the senate floor.
Let me say Madame President I have seen in my lifetime one individual electrocuted in the electric chair in my time, in my time, in my time. It's not a, it's not a beautiful spectacle. But I can say, I could witness another one, if it witnesses--if it involves this cruel, sadistic, cannibalistic, business of training innocent, vulnerable creatures to kill
The Senators website omits the part about watching an execution. and to be fair to the senator it is clear that he was talking in general about the people who engage in the crime of dog fighting, He was not calling for Michael Vick to be executed.

No comments: