Sunday, October 24, 2010

Is this legal?

I'm sure a husband can fill it out for his wife, but can you solicit blank ballots?

We have a leftie blogger in Washington asking for readers to sign their ballots and send them to him to fill out.

BWVote
I sent an e-mail to the Secretary of State, I’ll let you know if I get an answer.

Update: Director of Elections Replies (my original e-mail included)

Blatherwatch whines.

Dear Mr. Bentley,

Your email was referred to me asking whether a blogger was violating the law by asking readers to send him blank signed ballots.

First, I hope this blogger was not serious in his request.  For your information, our office has requested that he cease this practice. (emphasis mine)

The operative statute is

RCW 29A.84.610  Deceptive, incorrect vote recording.

A person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor who knowingly:

(1) Deceives any voter in recording his or her vote by providing incorrect or misleading recording information or by providing faulty election equipment or records; or

(2) Records the vote of any voter in a manner other than as designated by the voter.

Such a gross misdemeanor is punishable to the same extent as a gross misdemeanor that is punishable under RCW 9A.20.021

Thus, the violation of law occurs where someone records a vote for another person other than as designated by that voter.

Obviously, each of these situations involves questions of fact and the final solution will turn on exactly what happens.  But, this is the provision of law that will control these situations.

This office takes very seriously any situations involving undue influence in the voting process.

Thank you for calling this to our attention.  I hope this is helpful.

Nick Handy

Director of Elections
Office of Secretary of State
State of Washington

From: G’Willie
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:34 AM
To: Elections
Subject: Question; Other people filling out my ballot

Hello I saw on a blog (http://blatherwatch.blogs.com/talk_radio/2010/10/new-blatherwatch-voting-service.html) where he was requesting that readers sign and send him their blank ballots. I do not know if this is legal and did not see any thing on you website to say one way or the other, could you let me know?

thank you

G’Willie

So it appears that if the voters sent their ballots to him saying how they wanted him to vote for them it would be ok, just assuming they want him to vote one way is not.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most retarded thing I have ever seen. Are you a freekin' retard or what? Did you check the address in that post? Or didja wet yerself getting to the phone.
Freakin tard.

james Lasko said...

Thanks for what you did to call this to everybody's attention. I read it on Orb's blog. Hood is not taking that down off his blog. It looks like he is defying the law. Lets keep the pressure high on the SOS office. They are not always on our side if you remember 2004. Thanks again for your service.

G'Willie said...

"Did you check the address in that post?"
I noticed he changed the address, but since I don't live in Seattle I would not know where that address is or how that might fit into your little "inside joke" nor do I think most people who read it would...
And why is it liberals are always using such language?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Coward Emphasis mine. I did check the address:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3815+South+Othello+Street,+Seattle,+WA+ste.+100&sll=47.536848,-122.284484&sspn=0.012198,0.027874&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3815+S+Othello+St+%23100,+Seattle,+King,+Washington+98118&ll=47.537022,-122.284484&spn=0.012198,0.027874&z=16&iwloc=A

it looks like a valid address to me. When I put the address in google maps it comes back with any jokes calling me retarded, or any other indication the joke is on me. Next time why don't you include everyone in to the punchline... bitch

Anonymous said...

Othello Street is a lower middle-class neighborhood east of Boeing plants. Predominantly black, getting run down and old.

I R A Darth Aggie said...

I checked the address in Google maps.

Ah, a UPS store is on location, if you look in the Google Street View. Perhaps they have a box 182?

Kristophr said...

If I were to post a mailing address on a blog, you are damned straight it would be a maildrop in something like a UPS store.

Next time do a little research, Anonymous 'tard.

Chas said...

http://go.mappoint.net/ups/PrxResults.aspx?&LOC=47.5447043407432%3a-122.274592936702&CT=47.5447043407432%3a-122.274592936702%3a8.90632042206845%3a6.67974031655134&DSN=MapPoint.NA&GAD2=&GAD3=98118+(postal+code)%2c+Washington%2c+United+States&IC=47.5447043407432%3a-122.274592936702%3a32%3a&GAD4=USA&FC=UPS&GAD44=United+States

Anonymous said...

Freakin tard wrote on October 25, 2010 10:18 PM
>Did you check the address in that post?

Sure looks like a legitimate address to me.

If it was meant to be a joke address, the person offering to commit voter fraud failed to make that clear.

Anonymous said...

Hey a whole buch o' tards!

It's Holly Park Medical and Dental Clinic.

'Course, you would rather believe it'sa freekin Area 51 mailbox. I bet y'all live in Freedom County!

Cool! Just adds to the joke.

By the by, I'm a registered Independent. And, if the other Anony-moos wants me to be his bitch, just let me know. LMAO

Anonymous said...

As of the evening of Oct. 26, it is still up. So much for the State office getting him to cease and desist.

G'Willie said...

Dear Anonymous,
You're talking out your behind buddy. Did you not notice that the address changed after I took the screen shot? Suite 200 is the Dentist office, Suite 100 is a UPS Store with a mail box in it. So your argument is bunk. Hood changed it after he got called on it and I'd bet that any workers at the clinic would see the discrepancy and reroute any mail to the UPS store, being neighborly and all.
Want proof?
http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/5749/

Anonymous said...

What difference does it make if he is a 'leftie' blogger? It was filed as humor but teabaggers have no time any of that, no sir!

james Lasko said...

I think using that language while soliciting voter fraud adds another count. when will the SOS take action? Hood is a serial curser. He's been called on it before, has used the language in referring to many RTeublicans including a certain former President of The United States.

G'Willie said...

It's possible It was originally filed as a humor post, I didn't check the tags, (I don't use them myself) but if it was “humor”, why did he change the address after the fact? Did he change the tag too? Who owns Box 182?